On a recent trip to Hobby Lobby (when paper pads were 50% off), I saw these papers from The Paper Studio. It’s Hobby Lobby’s own brand and yes, you can buy them online.
On first glance you may think “Ooo, pretty wedding papers.”
Yeah, that’s what I thought too. And I really have no use for wedding papers.
But as I looked through the patterns, I found stripes and polka dots and quatrefoil papers that are more universal. The pattern on each page is in a nice frosted pearly finish which got me to thinking, would they take color? Could I alter them to match a project like some of the new resist papers that are popular right now?
Since they were on sale, I picked them up and started experimenting.
Experiment 1 – Spray Mist
The first thing I tried was Studio Calico’s Mister Huey in Gable Green. Honestly? I wasn’t thrilled with the results. Nothing against Mister Huey – I love these mists – I just didn’t get great results here. The paper took the color just fine, but it was hard to control the splotchiness. It didn’t work as well as the true resist papers from Pink Paislee and Tim Holtz.
Experiment 2 – Distress Ink
On a new sheet, I moved on to Ripe Persimmon (one of the fall seasonal colors) distress ink. Now we are getting somewhere! I instantly loved the result. The non-pearl finish on these papers is raised slightly, so the blending tool glides right over to deliver the darker color. The pearl finish takes the color too, but very slightly. You get this really nice tone on tone effect.
Experiment 3 – Jenni Bowlin Ink and Distress Stain
Next, I thought I would give Jenni Bowlin inks from Ranger a try. I used the blending foam with these inks just like with the distress inks. I wanted to see what Weather Vane would look like and again, the papers took the ink beautifully. I love the softness of the grey with the frost. It’s so pretty.
Since I was on a roll, I wanted to see what the distress stains would do. I was afraid I’d get the splotchiness I got with the mists because the stains are also liquid. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that if you roll on the stain and remove the excess with a paper towel immediately, it works great. I tried out Scattered Straw, Broken China and Shabby Shutters and they all delivered great color.
All in all, I was pretty happy with the results of my little experiment. I can’t wait for the right layout to come along so I can use one of the other basic patterns – maybe with one of the newest seasonal distress inks. I cannot wait to get my hands on Picked Raspberry in the summer collection!
Thanks for stopping by today!