I thought I would do something a little different with my tags this month. I am gearing up to work on some layouts with holiday photos — a few from last year and at least one layout for this year. I have a ton of holiday scraps from a December Daily album I created a few years ago so I spread them out on the table and got my creative juices warmed up by making some tags.
If these don’t end up on one of the layouts I’m working on, they will go in my tag box along with all of my other inspiration tags. I’m happy to report that my box is really starting to fill up!
(What are my Tags of Inspiration? Here’s my original post if you missed it and want the full details. I am simply making these tags as a trigger. They remind me of my tools, different embellishments, color palettes, border treatments, techniques to add to a page, etc… They are not exactly meant to be works of art in themselves — some are much prettier than others — they simply provide me with inspiration.)
- Use a doily to ground embellishment clusters
- Heat emboss ugly chipboard into a color that works with your project
- Holographic embossing powder adds a gorgeous shimmer
- Pearls are always a perfect finishing touch
- Add a painted edge when inking isn’t bold enough
- Use overlays and lace cardstock over pattern paper for more impact
- Add a bit of gold to the classic red and green for an instant update
- Bags are the perfect place to add a list of items you don’t want in full view
- Back stickers on cardstock to help communicate what the hidden journaling is about
- Use bits of ribbon on the end of hidden journaling strips to make them easier to pull out
- Adding confetti behind vellum makes a fun, interactive element
- Sewing vellum to the background is one of the best ways to adhere it
- Mine came flocked, but adding stamped images to vellum over the to of pattern paper adds another subtle layer
- A bit of lace is useful for grounding embellishment clusters
For everyone celebrating Christmas this week, I hope that you have a magical and blessed December 25th. To all of my friends out there who visit me here regularly, thank you for stopping by and for your friendship and support. I’m looking forward to sharing more ideas and paper crafting creations in 2014!