Paper Crafting Project | Spring Flower Bouquet

Last week I was cruising through a bunch of blog posts, trying to catch up (knowing I should be working to cross tasks off my list, but instead I was on the computer!). I just happened to be scrolling through the DCWV Diary blog when I saw these really cool flowers. Talk about a fun spring project! I had to make my own version over the weekend.

These flowers were so easy to make. Erin’s tutorial didn’t have any photos, but she did good job explaining what to do. I took a bunch of photos as I made mine, so I’m just going to show my photos and you can refer to her tutorial if you need further instruction. They really are super easy and remind me of the fabric yo-yos, only with paper.

I just happened to have a package of dowels (purchased at a craft store) on hand that I wanted to use for the flower stem. I remember Heidi Swapp mentioning that glimmer mist takes really well to unfinished wood, so I “painted” (rather than sprayed) some Key Lime Pie glimmer mist onto my dowels. I wasn’t thrilled with the saturation, so I added a few streaks of Dragonfly and then followed up with another coat of lime to get the color I wanted.

I created my flowers in three smaller sizes to use up some paper scraps (an older line KI Memories created exclusively for JoAnn’s). I used my trusty Coluzzle circle, but you can cut these out with any electronic die cut machine or with any other tool. I misted my circles with a Ranger Mini Mister. You do not need to saturate the paper, just a few lights mists on both sides of the paper.

There isn’t really a trick to folding over the damp paper, but you do have to work slow and gently. I tore the second flower I tried because I was working too fast. As I folded, I noticed that the paper folds were longer at the top and shorter as I came around the circle. It really does not matter since you will cover up that space.

I love that you can top these flower off any way you want. I gathered a variety of different punches and just played around with different shapes and colors. I also added a couple of brads but you could use buttons or epoxy shapes or even the cute accordion fold flowers and other pre-made embellishments. I used dimensional adhesive dots with my flower centers to pop them up.

To save me time, I just attached my flowers to the dowels with scrapbook tape. I could have used diamond glaze or glossy accents, but I didn’t want to wait for that to dry. I trimmed off the ends of my dowels with my Tim Holtz Tonic Scissors. (I haven’t found anything that these scissors won’t cut through!) For a finishing touch, I tied each dowel with a different ribbon.

I also wanted to show that I used my alcohol inks on some clear sea glass that I wanted to add to my vase. I used Meadow and Lettuce to coat the glass. Once again, I wasn’t getting the saturation I wanted, so I added Stream to the mix to get the color I wanted. I love the effect it creates on the glass. The perfect touch of color.

Thanks so much for stopping by today. I hope this inspires you to create your own vase of paper flower happiness!


  1. They look gr8! I love them!

  2. These are SO pretty..reminds me of a jar of lollipops!
    Alison xx

  3. These are so cute! Love how the arrangement turned out!

  4. Oh this is a fan-tabulous project! Such clear directions! Thanks for sharing!

  5. What a fun spring projects – yours turned out lovely.

  6. What a fun project, I’ve got tons of scraps that I can play around with to make some flowers…thanks for the tutorial and the pictures!

  7. Those are awesome! What a great project just in time for spring.

  8. These are so pretty Tammy.
    Love your photography of them.

  9. Those are so pretty!! Love them,,Great job!!!

  10. These are so adorable and gave me a great idea for crafting with my students, too. Using chenille stems, wallpaper samples, buttons, other fabric and ribbon scraps. Can’t wait to try it!


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.