Instead of my usual 5 things post this weekend, I’m expanding it a bit to include 10 fun things I’ve discovered or I’m using or I’m enjoying during this Summer 2011. As always, I’ll link you up to all these fun things so you can check them out too!
1. Sunless tanners – I have a love/hate relationship with the sun. While I love to see that sun shining in a bright blue sky — as a melanoma survivor — I can’t really spend much time in the sun. I can slather on every sunblock known to man, but I’d rather not tempt fate. My outdoor time is early morning or early evenings. As such, I my summer glow comes from a bottle. My very favorite sunless tanner is Bare Esentuals Faux Tan. It’s pricey but it’s the best one I’ve ever used. I also use the Jergens Natural Glow moisturizer in the Medium to Dark every other day so that I can just use the Faux Tan every 3-4 days.
2. Shower Gel - I love the seasonal scents from Philosophy. I adore their shower gels and look forward to the new scents they come out with every season. This year, I’m loving the Pool Party set that includes Papaya Passion Punch, Blue Hawaiian and Starfruit Martini. My favorite is the Blue Hawaiian. They are fruity, happy scents that totally feel like summer.
3. Flip Flops - summer just isn’t the same without some flip flops! I actually avoided flip flops for many years because there’s typically no cushioning in them and the band between the toes always hurts me. But then I discovered the more athletic type flip flops that have shoe soles, like these from Clarks. They are more pricey, but it’s sooooooo worth it. The sole has cushion, you can actually walk in them for hours at a time and they are super comfortable.
4. Beverage – OK, not of the alcoholic variety, this one is good for you. In an effort to get more veggies into my diet (I just don’t like to eat many of them) I’ve started drinking this V-8 V-Fusion juice in any of the LIGHT varieties. I mix equal parts juice with equal parts Diet Sprite or Diet 7-up. It’s the only “soda” I drink anymore and it’s not so bad combined with fruits and veggies in a glass.
5. Salad Recipe – I love a good greek salad and this one from the Pioneer Woman is fab! Add some rotisserie chicken from your local supermarket and some flat bread and you’ve got a yummy, healthy, summer feast. No oven required!
6. Ice cream – again, what is a good summer evening without some ice cream? I try to stick with the light varieties and frozen yogurt because I’m watching my calories. I just discovered Edy’s Slow Churned Black Rasperry. It’s a limited edition flavor for the summer but any of the Slow Churned flavors are yummy. Really splurge and add a little chocolate sauce to it. Yum!
7. Summer Read – I just started The Search by Nora Roberts. It just came out in paperback recently and I waited until summer was in full swing before I started it. If you love dogs, it’s a must read. It’s about a canine search and rescue trainer who falls for a client that brings her a puppy to train. It’s the perfect blend of suspense with a copy cat serial killer on the loose and a new romance with a puppy in tow. Fun, guilty pleasure reading.
8. Summer Tunes – I just downloaded (at iTunes) Sunshine State of Mind by We the Kings (the physical CD releases on July 12th). Great summer tunes. Upbeat pop with a bit of punk. I really need to download some more music. It’s been awhile since I refreshed my play lists. While I may live in the Country Music capital of the world, I prefer the rock and grunge I grew up listening to. If you have any rock/alternative suggestions, let me know in the comments.
9. Summer Movie – Only 5 days to go before Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 arrives in theaters. While I’m not going to be there at midnight to see the movie when it opens, I am really looking forward to seeing this final chapter. It looks like it’s going to be action packed from start to finish.
10. Paper line – When I was in Orlando a few weeks ago, I stopped by my favorite scrapbook store and they had just gotten in the 100 Days of Summer line by Simple Stories. This paper is absolutely gorgeous. The color palette is very summery but it’s muted and I love the wood grain accent and text prints in the patterns. I can’t wait to do something fun with the papers I purchased.
So, what are your favorites this summer?
Today I’m linking up at Shimelle’s 10 Things blog party. To see more entries, click here!
Thanks for stopping by today!