It’s the tenth of the month and that means a bunch of us are linking up over at Shimelle.com to share lists of 10 Things. This month’s list was inspired yesterday. Some dear friends of the family came to visit from my hometown — Spokane, WA. We were sitting on my parents’ sun porch enjoying a gorgeous, breezy and lazy afternoon catching up. It was mentioned more than once that if they ever left Spokane, Central Florida — for the sunshine and the laid back life style — would be high on the short list of acceptable places to move to.
I couldn’t agree more! It made me realize again how happy I am that I moved back. Even though I haven’t found the right job yet, I know in my heart this is where I need to be. So today, instead of all the touristy places that everyone else associates with Orlando, I’m going to share my favorite restaurants around town. Some chain, some local, and mostly inexpensive and casual, but all places that I associate with my home here in Central Florida.
1. Cafe Annie – the best Greek I’ve ever had. The chicken kabob is scrumptious, with just the right amount of garlic.
2. Sweet Tomatoes – a salad never tastes as good as it does here. The soups are always fabulous, the breads and muffins are yummy. There were none anywhere near me in Nashville, so I really missed this place during the last 5 years.
3. Napasorn Thai – most Thai restaurants have an over arching fishy-ness to me. I don’t know what it is other than I don’t eat seafood so I immediately notice it. But not Napasorn. The cashew chicken and the yellow curry keep me coming back time after time.
4. Tijuana Flats – it’s not your typical Tex-Mex place. The walls are purple or turquoise or green or yellow (each location is different) but always painted with interesting graffiti art. I love the enchiladas with their unique sweet chili sauce.
5. White Wolf Cafe– antiques, live music and good food all rolled into one! They have the best Waldorf chicken salad and it’s fun to browse while you are waiting for a table.
6. Crispers – another salads and soups kind of place (we love that kind of healthy, fresh food in Florida!) but they also have amazing flatbreads and wraps. I’ve already been back for a citrus chicken wrap.
7. Too Jay’s – a New York style deli with the best Matzo Ball soup. Whenever I feel a cold coming on or just need something comforting, Matzo ball soup hits the spot. The dill chicken salad is yummy too and you can top it off with a macaroon or a black and white cookie.
8. Dexter’s – trust me, it’s nothing like the TV show Dexter. It’s another local place with the best sandwiches and their own special cha cha chips, either regular potato or sweet potato. Both are to die for!
9. Which Wich – I discovered this place in Nashville and was so, so happy to see they have since opened in Orlando with a new location closer to me to open soon! I love the funky choose your own adventure style menu.
10. BJ’s Brewhouse – this place is new to me. It opened while I was in Nashville. I haven’t been yet but I’ve heard from numerous sources that it’s fabulous. So maybe when that job finally comes along, we’ll check this place out to celebrate.
If you want to see more lists of 10 things, click here! And the next time you are in Orlando and you want to eat where the locals eat, try one of these places. You won’t go wrong!
Thanks for stopping by today.